Re: [Nolug] "automatically" setting file permissions to -rw-rw-rw-

From: Mike Raeder <mikey_at_otisinc1.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:42:53 -0600

T.E.Stirewalt wrote:

> *I am unabashedly a newbie to any flavor of Linux.*
> **
> *I need some help, information, instructions, something....*
> **
> *I want to 'automatically' set file permissions to -rw-rw-rw- instead
> of -rw-r--r-- *

man umask for details. 'umask' sets file creation mask (or default
creation bits).

So, to do what you want, you'd go something like this...

#>umask 111 directory name

It's set up kinda the opposite of chmod. Where 'chmod' gives, 'umask'
takes away, so we're just taking away the Execute with the above example.

Read 4
Write 2
Execute 1

And, for your existing documents, as scary as it is to type, you can
change those permissions with...
#>chmod 666 filename
;^)

HTH, HAND.