Re: [Nolug] "automatically" setting file permissions to -rw-rw-rw-

From: T.E.Stirewalt <TomS_at_ComputerBrain.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 13:53:00 -0600

  Well, I gave it a try....

  Yes, I saw that I managed to screw up the spelling - it should have been
umask instead of uNmask. Thanks for not jumping up and down on me about
that....

   changing etc/profile umask 111 and restarting

  Computer slow as molasses on a cold day.
  Mouse pointer very jerky.

  Tried creating and saving an Open Office Word Processing file, checked
permissions and STILL -rw-r--r-- !

  Changed to umask 011 and restarted
    Computer speed back to normal
    Permissions unchanged upon create/save exit program, then check
permissions.

  Do I need to go somewhere else and fool with 'mode' or 'open(2)' ?
Wherever that may be.....

  I did the man umask and there were some referrals to those two
items...

  Thanks again.

Tom 18 FEB 03
Thomas E. Stirewalt Jr.