Re: [Nolug] The default to -rw-rw-r-- permissions debacle => ATTABOY and problem solved - Thanks!

From: T.E.Stirewalt <TomS_at_ComputerBrain.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:44:41 -0600

  Allright!

  Scott Harney - you get the prize! I definitely owe you a LARGE cup of
coffee.

  Problem solved!

  However, in case your were curious.

  Starting a console and typing in

  umask gives me the result of 0022

  I then typed in 'umask 002' {enter} followed by 'touch test' {enter}
followed by 'ls -l test {enter}

  The result was:

-RW-RW-R-- 1 MORGAN MORGAN 0 FEB 20 13:09 TEST

in home/morgan/.bashrc umask 022 is the entry

in home/morgan/.bash_profile umask 022 is the entry

in etc/.profile umask 002 is the entry

SO I WENT AND CHANGED THINGS

  Made the umask value 002 in both .bashrc and .bash_profile

  Logged out and logged back in, voila! It worked as advertised in the NFS
share.

AND the machine is not slow as molasses.

  As an experiment I changed ONLY the .bashrc value and left the
.bash_profile value unchanged, logged out and back in and the computer was
slow again. I'm guessing that the conflict was making things unnecessarily
back-and-forth in the file system. I did not turn on any monitoring ('cause
I don't yet know how) to see what the processor was doing etc. - I could
just see it was being slow and jerky mouse pointer.

..

  Sorry about convolutions.

  I am still a newbie, still thrashing about in the unknown. I installed my
first (test) Linux system about eight weeks ago.

  Some of the stuff is a result of trying to make every group have the same
members. Theory being just one more thing I did not have to worry about
'setting' in what appears to me to be a very granular permissions schema.

  I need to know about both NFS and Samba shares.

  With any luck I may be moving some of my users over to Linux boxes
attaching to an existing NT server.

  Depending upon how good I get, etc., I may also be putting in a Linux box
or two as servers that will be having existing Win boxes connecting to it.

  This current Xandros [Debian] install is an experiment for me to learn on.

  Once I get this kinda sorta straight, I will make sure my notes are
complete, and then I will wipe it and start anew.

  However, many users have attached printers which need to be shared so
fellow workers can still print when their own attached printer goes down.

  Some of the workstations are actually 'hosting' some resources instead of
a server.

  No I did not set them up this way, I inherited them this way.

Tom 20 FEB 03
Thomas E. Stirewalt Jr.
voice= 504-581-1974 [ans.mach]
email= TomS@ComputerBrain.net