Re: [Nolug] The default to -rw-rw-r-- permissions debacle => ATTABOY and problem solved - Thanks!

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 15:20:26 -0600

"T.E.Stirewalt" <TomS@ComputerBrain.net> writes:

> Scott Harney - you get the prize! I definitely owe you a LARGE cup of
> coffee.

Coffee's good. Beer's better. Guiness, Sierra Nevada. Something
with quality.

> SO I WENT AND CHANGED THINGS
>
> Made the umask value 002 in both .bashrc and .bash_profile

Yep. that's what I figured. And I have one more suggestion as well.
If you'd like to make it so that everytime you create a unix user,
their individual profiles have the settings you want in them automatically,
edit the template files in /etc/skel. every time you add a user, these
.bashrc, .bash_profile etc files are copy over from the templates in
/etc/skel. so if you edit the umask in those files, all new users
will be set up as you like them.

> As an experiment I changed ONLY the .bashrc value and left the
> .bash_profile value unchanged, logged out and back in and the computer was
> slow again. I'm guessing that the conflict was making things unnecessarily
> back-and-forth in the file system. I did not turn on any monitoring ('cause
> I don't yet know how) to see what the processor was doing etc. - I could
> just see it was being slow and jerky mouse pointer.

Something else is going on. Trust me.

> I am still a newbie, still thrashing about in the unknown. I installed my
> first (test) Linux system about eight weeks ago.

understandable.

> Some of the stuff is a result of trying to make every group have the same
> members. Theory being just one more thing I did not have to worry about
> 'setting' in what appears to me to be a very granular permissions schema.

Keep it simple. The WinNT/2K permissions system is vastly more
complicated. All you need to worry about in unix is owner,group, and other
for 99% of tasks[1]

> I need to know about both NFS and Samba shares.

management of each is quite different. NFS users are unix users
so the shell settings on the system they are logged into will apply.
Samba (windows) users will be affected by samba settings.

> This current Xandros [Debian] install is an experiment for me to learn on.

That's a good idea.

> However, many users have attached printers which need to be shared so
> fellow workers can still print when their own attached printer goes down.

samba+linux makes a very good print server ;)

> Some of the workstations are actually 'hosting' some resources instead of
> a server.
> No I did not set them up this way, I inherited them this way.

Congrats. now you're a sysadmin.

[1]ACL's exist in varying format in most unixen but are rarely utilized.

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."