[Nolug] CD-ROM problem

From: jdtiede_at_bellsouth.net
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:07:16 -0500

    When I was trying to do an update of RH 8.0 in hopes of finding a missing file (subject of a separate message) the system hung and I had to reset. At that point it stopped recognizing cdrom. I found a line deleted in /etc/fstab, so added:
     /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
per one of the Linux books I have. That didn't help so I added to /etc/mtab:
     /dev/cdrom / iso9660 ro 0 0
as a best guess going by the other entires in mtab.
     After that, clicking on the CD/DVD-ROM icon displays the contects of the CD, but I can't remove the CD. When I click on Disk Management, CD isn't even displayed.
     When I shut down to reboot, I get a message "Cannot create /etc/mtab~. Perhaps there is a stale lock file." On reboot, "mount point 0 does not exist" appears. Is this normal? After that, the system hangs on "Enabling local filesystem quotas." I am now limited to using my W2K machine.