Re: [Nolug] Guess they haven't heard of *nix

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 10 Mar 2003 08:11:15 -0600

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 07:23, Scott Harney wrote:
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
>
> > Humorous note about Cox Jefferson and how companies sometimes just keep
> > on using unexpected technology: back, oh, ~10 years ago, I surfed to
> > channel 4 (scrolling TV listings, even before TV Guide took over), and
> > saw an AmigaDOS error screen! Video has always been a strength of the
> > Amiga, so I wasn't super surprised...
>
> At Charter in Opelousas/Eunice I was setting up their cable modem
> stuff a couple of years ago and noted that they had an Amiga in the
> headend. It was still active and serving up their
> "character-generated" channel. I can't imagine that it's still there,
> but it might be. This was in 2001.

Yet another example of "if it works, and it's paid for, don't touch
it". What it tells me, though, is that probably some company had a
turn-key system for this kind of thing, tailored to the cable industry.

Does anyone know if already there are linux/unix apps (that don't cost
$50,000) out there to do such a thing.