Re: [Nolug] USB problems

From: Andrew S. Johnson <andy_at_asjohnson.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:08:51 -0600

On Monday 17 March 2003 09:59 am, jdtiede@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Using RH 8.0, I entered
> rpm -q hotplug hwdata usbutils
> and got back
> hotplug-2002_04_01-13
> hwdata-0.47-1
> usbutils-0.9-7
> but when I have USB devices plugged into the computer their LEDs don't light.
> What am I missing? I am still struggling with the Alcatel USB DSL modem ("Stingray"),
> a Canon n670u scanner, and an Iomega external USB CD burner. I find a lot of info on
> the internet, but much of it is not specific to these items--though not getting
> any LEDs lit seems pretty basic to me. Any suggestions?

Try lsusb for a list of usb devices. Mine looks like this:

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Virtual Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Virtual Hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:c00c Logitech Inc. Optical Wheel Mouse

Or try lsusb -v for more info. Then check dmesg and see if you have any lines like:

usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x46d/0xc00c) is not claimed by any active driver

Which should be followed by something like:

usb.c: registered new driver usb_mouse
input0: Logitech USB Mouse on usb1:2.0
usbmouse.c: v1.6:USB HID Boot Protocol mouse driver
usb.c: registered new driver hiddev
usb.c: registered new driver hid
hid-core.c: v1.8.1 Andreas Gal, Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz>
hid-core.c: USB HID support drivers

If not, then you need to figure out which modules you need to manually
modprobe to get your devices recognized. Failing that, you can
use the source. That's what I had to do for my daughter's web cam,
the $20 Veo Stingray from Walmart.

What is is with USB devices named "Stingray"?

Andy Johnson