Re: [Nolug] DNS/Reverse Lookup and a Host file.

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 10:58:44 -0500

"Wimprine, Thomas" <twimprine@stei.com> writes:

> Because of DDNS and some of our hosts are registering themselves this really
> isn't working. I will most likely do the child domain (routers.stei.com) and
> work with that. When the named starts it reads the $INCLUDE statement it
> actually copies that into the working file when the first journal file is
> committed. That's causing some other issues that I wasn't expecting to deal
> with, like how can I remove routers that no longer exist. This was easy when
> I was replacing a single file every night and I could keep them separate,
> with DDNS this crimps that plan.

You can have individual A records with different expiration cache times
that override the default for the zone file on a per-record level.
Thus DDNS records could be set to expire from cache every 30 minutes to an
hour, say, rather than one full day. when a DNS query goes out for a router
that is "gone", if the cache is older than expire time for the record, it
will go the master and find that it is gone/moved/whatever.

> I'll look for a way to increment the serial number using the date after I
> separate the dns data again.

Either way, I'm thinking this data should be in a subdomain. I recommend
keeping DDNS records separate from your more static entries.

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."