Re: [Nolug] Wireless IPSEC article on NOLUG

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 14:10:58 +0000

Thou spake:
>Hey folks,
> Since I'm unable to participate in meetings on Thursdays due to a conflict
>I promised I would add things to the site of use to you all. I have written
> an article that I had planned to present at one point on setting up
> wireless access with IPSEC to secure your wireless link.
<snip>

ME TOO!
</aol>

Seriously, I have been working on a wireless security paper as well.

I'm trying to hammer out a scheme for securing a wireless LAN where the
clients and/or admins are unable or unwilling to set up and maintain IPsec.
For an example of a network where IPsec cannot be used, consider a WLAN where
the users run Windows 9x. While Win2k can do IPsec (and interoperate with
probably every other OS using IPsec, by the way), Win9x cannot run IPsec. An
alternative method of securing sensitive data would be useful on networks
where these OSs are used.

As a side benefit to my encryption scheme, users are also authenticated,
making it very simple to deny all but registered users access to bandwidth.

I've got most of the bases covered, I think, and am almost finished my first
draft. I'm going to be posting this on the net when I'm finished writing it,
and will present it at one of our meetings.

--Joey

I'd rather crash a Ford than wreck a Chevy