Re: [Nolug] Wireless IPSEC article on NOLUG

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:57:45 -0500

Joey Kelly <joey@joeykelly.net> writes:

> Seriously, I have been working on a wireless security paper as well.
>
> I'm trying to hammer out a scheme for securing a wireless LAN where the
> clients and/or admins are unable or unwilling to set up and maintain IPsec.
> For an example of a network where IPsec cannot be used, consider a WLAN where
> the users run Windows 9x. While Win2k can do IPsec (and interoperate with
> probably every other OS using IPsec, by the way), Win9x cannot run IPsec. An
> alternative method of securing sensitive data would be useful on networks
> where these OSs are used.

So what are you using? vpnd? vtun?

> As a side benefit to my encryption scheme, users are also authenticated,
> making it very simple to deny all but registered users access to bandwidth.

IPSEC buys you that benefit as well. You don't get a link unless
you're auth'd to get one. If you mean authing individual logins where
login != laptop then, yeah, that's a bonus versus IPSEC....

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."