Re: [Nolug] Wireless IPSEC article on NOLUG

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:47:04 -0500

"Carlos " <carlos@cancansystems.com> writes:

> What about poptop (or pptp) for VPN. I have a VPN running on a SuSE box
> using poptop (ipsec just would not work on the win9x clients) and
> working quite well, linking three remote Lans. There are certain
> advantages to poptop in relation to ipsec (and viceversa). What about
> some talk "ipsec vs pptp" for a nolug meeting? I also had successfully
> installed swan/ipsec in the same box with predefined keys, and I think
> that under Linux both can run concurrently.

pptp is certainly easier than what I did. But it does have some real
problems http://www.counterpane.com/pptp-paper.html I believe Microsoft
is phasing out pptp due to it's inherent implementation flaws in favor
of IPSEC.

As I say in my paper, there are many other ways to do it. It really
depends on your platforms. vpnd (http://sunsite.dk/vpnd/) is the
approach the Linux Journal article I referenced used. It looks very
easy to set up. Though freeswan-freeswan is almost just as easy now.
vpnd may or may not be able to work under OpenBSD. I don't know. I
wanted to use IPSEC.

The other possibility I found was vtun. http://vtun.sourceforge.net.
It works on Linux, solaris, & *BSD. This is also wonderfully easy to
setup and manage.

My approach was to provide a practical, real-world, working example.
I've been doing this approach for over a year now, actually, but only
just finished writing it up now. There's more than one way to do it
and that varies based on requirements. You have Win9x so likely pptp
is about your only bet. It's certainly better than WEP.

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."