Re: [Nolug] call for help: white papers to show my CIO regarding Linux, Unix & Oracle

From: Dustin Puryear <dpuryear_at_usa.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 20:53:06 -0500

At 09:10 PM 4/25/2003 -0400, you wrote:

> > On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 18:49, mikey@otisinc1.net wrote:
> >> <taking_the_piss>
> >> Oh, you mean Solaris on a big fat SunKitty or E-XXXX? ;)
> >> </taking_the_piss>
> >
> > No. The Sun people really pissed off the CIO, so now the only Unix in
> > the shop is HP-UX on HP-9000.
>
>He *must* be pissed off if he's going with PH-UX. OTOH, be glad he's not
>going with AIX. If you've got DECs all over your shop, I'm surprised that
>the CIO didn't go with Tru-64.

Hey, I kind of liked AIX when I had one to manage. It had, well,
everything. Literally. ;)

> > Is Oracle really as DBA-intensive as I've heard?
>
>It's setting the thing up that's a challenge. You've got kernel-y memory
>stuff (/etc/system on Slowlaris), environment variables, permissions
>(files system, user, group, and weird oracle stuff), an imperial arseload
>of *.ora files to adjust, startup scripts, and all sorts of fuc^Hn stuff.
>Add apache , SSL, and java to that equation and you have even more fuc^n.
>But, once you get it running, it's pretty iron-clad.

I have recently begun working on a project with DB2. I did some minimal DB2
work under AIX a few years back, but this is new to me under Linux. Anyone
here a DB2 buff? I missed a version or two apparently and am trying to
catch up. Any good and quick tutorials or books?

---
Dustin Puryear <dustin@puryear-it.com>
Puryear Information Technology
Windows, UNIX, and IT Consulting