Re: [Nolug] call for help: white papers to show my CIO regarding Linux, Unix & Oracle

From: mikey_at_otisinc1.net
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 21:10:05 -0400 (EDT)

> On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 18:49, mikey@otisinc1.net wrote:
>> <taking_the_piss>
>> Oh, you mean Solaris on a big fat SunKitty or E-XXXX? ;)
>> </taking_the_piss>
>
> No. The Sun people really pissed off the CIO, so now the only Unix in
> the shop is HP-UX on HP-9000.

He *must* be pissed off if he's going with PH-UX. OTOH, be glad he's not
going with AIX. If you've got DECs all over your shop, I'm surprised that
the CIO didn't go with Tru-64.

ObUptime: I adminned a Tru-64 box that had an uptime of over 1 year.
Mostly because I kept certain bad people from rebooting it everytime getty
puked.

>> I'm just in a giddy mood from
>> playing with Oracle9i all day in a badly intended environment.
>
> Is Oracle really as DBA-intensive as I've heard?

It's setting the thing up that's a challenge. You've got kernel-y memory
stuff (/etc/system on Slowlaris), environment variables, permissions
(files system, user, group, and weird oracle stuff), an imperial arseload
of *.ora files to adjust, startup scripts, and all sorts of fuc^Hn stuff.
Add apache , SSL, and java to that equation and you have even more fuc^n.
But, once you get it running, it's pretty iron-clad.

Of course, IANA-DBA and a DBA /should/ be doing this, but I somehow got
stuck with it. This is a pretty hairy set up, so I'm taking notes.

>> My child hacked into your honour student's computer
>
> If the child was *really* on the honor roll, s/he would be using
> Linux, behind a strict minimalist-Linux firewall kept strictly
> up to date. Thus, your juvenile delinquent wouldn't be able to
> touch the honor student's computer.

I dunno about that. With the sheer volume of bumper stickers I see on the
road, I think they're being a bit lax.

IIRC, the guys[0] who excelled in computing classes back in the day were
some pretty shady characters who wanted nothing to do with the
preppie-swots on the honour roll.

[0] Picture a group of Huntars of varied size, scope, and subculture, but
every one of them with the same "piss off" attitude towards supposed
authority. ;)

--
Since-beer-leekz,
Mikey    http://www.scottharney.com/cgi-bin/blog.cgi/mikey