Re: [Nolug] call for help: white papers to show my CIO regarding Linux, Unix & Oracle

From: Andrew S. Johnson <andy_at_asjohnson.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 00:15:42 -0500

On Tuesday 29 April 2003 08:52 pm, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Thus, if your databases are steady-state, and your apps don't change,
> you are very, very fortunate.

One advantage of having the final say in what may go on my servers.
<evil laugh>
Stuff I don't want I pass to IT, and let the DBA there pull his hair out.
</evil laugh>

> Remember, also, that DEC ported VMS to Alpha 11 years ago, and is
> in the process of porting it to Itanium (it's already bootstrapped
> in the lab, with FCS later this year).

I read about this a while ago. It won't be enough to save VMS. At some
point even the faithful in denial will have to acknowledge the truth as
they watch the last shovelful of dirt being tossed onto the coffin.

If people will pay for pet psychiatrists and pet rocks, then maybe I can
make a little money as a "abandoned software" grievance counselor.

<this will hurt me more than it hurts you>
If you start crying hysterically, I'll have to b**** slap you.
</this will hurt me more than it hurts you, unless I use a stick>

Andy Johnson