Re: [Nolug] call for help: white papers to show my CIO regarding Linux, Unix & Oracle

From: Andrew S. Johnson <andy_at_asjohnson.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 19:00:36 -0500

On Wednesday 30 April 2003 06:39 pm, Ron Johnson wrote:

> But... Since Oracle licenses are based per-CPU, we look for getting
> faster CPUs inside the same box, instead of more of the same speed
> CPUs, when upgrading.

True, now, but they've changed their licensing more than once in the past.
I thought that they were currently licensing on "processor units" or something
like that, where you take the processor speed time the number of processors
time X dollars. Since we have a corporate agreement, I don't have to worry
about the details anymore.

> However, I'm "efforting" to convince my boss that the "Unix people"
> should try developing on Linux instead of HP-UX. Thus, that's why
> I started the thread "white papers to show my CIO regarding Linux,
> Unix & Oracle" in the 1st place.

I haven't checked Oracle's web site lately, but they never lacked for
whitepapers in the past. What other "sources" does your CIO consider
"reputable?" Gartner, IDC, ??? Others I don't know?

Andy Johnson