Re: [Nolug] updating a RedHat box

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 16 May 2003 22:06:20 -0500

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 16:59, Joey Kelly wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> One of my clients has a RedHat box that I need to update. I haven't ever run
> RH before, and don't know how to update the thing. Yeah, I know I could
> update individual rpms, but that's a drag.
>
> Is there some update utility that I can run and sync to current levels for
> his versiion (I think it's 7.something)? I seem to remember that such was
> available from RH for a fee (which is one more in a long list of reasons why
> don't want to run RH personally). Are there third-party updaters available?
> Or should I make my client pay for the RH service?

RedHat Network is free for 1 computer. (Well, it used to be free.
Maybe they changed it.) Upgrading RH from 7.x to 9.0 gives me the
willies, though.

Doing a fresh install would be easier, I think. (And upgrade to Debian
at the same time.)

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| The purpose of the military isn't to pay your college tuition |
| or give you a little extra income; it's to "kill people and   |
| break things".  Surprisingly, not everyone understands that.  |