Re: [Nolug] Missing the point (Re: updating a RedHat box)

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 13:14:46 -0500

"Wimprine, Thomas" <twimprine@stei.com> writes:

This is extremely easy to do with Debian or Gentoo. Debian may not be
as easy to install as RH but keeping it up to date is much much much much
better. apt-get in cron is pretty simple.

If I had 100+ systems to update, I'd have a local deb archive and a
couple of test systems. The test systems would get upgraded and if
successful, I'd load my local archive with the latest code and then
next "apt-get dist-upgrade" cycle on my production machines would grab
the upgrade. simple.

With Gentoo I'd do much the same thing. Use one system to build the binary
packages and store them and "emerge -pu world" with the local system as
my distribution point.

With that many systems, you don't want to be grabbing the same packages
over the net repeatedly.

>>> Having a 3rd party blindly modify my system scares most SysAdmins.
>
> Yea I'm sure it would scare most SysAdmins, but I don't know Linux well
> enough to know what I'm looking at otherwise so what do I lose. I have two
> systems one is an email gateway and the other is my laptop which gets
> updated MUCH more often. I've really never had a problem. (That I haven't
> created myself)
>
>>> The way many Debianite SysAdmins do it is to apt-get updates at night
>>> via cron in *download* mode, and then manually run apt-get to eye-ball
>>> what apt-get wants to do, in case (for example) and upgrade libc6
>>> wants to upgrade everything else.
>>>
>>> Takes more time that way, but could avert disaster if there's a bug in
>>> a downloaded package.
>
> Yes that probably would be better and would advert disaster. But what am I
> looking at again?
> I still think RHN is the fastest and easiest way to update a RHN system
> especially if you can't get to it (console/SSH) to update it. If you know
> what you are doing and can do the apt-get or comparable action for your
> distro that would defiantly be better and much less like 'Active Update'
>
> But here's a question, what do you do if you have 100+ systems you need to
> update? With RHN you could update one system and test it, then schedule it
> for the rest. How would this be accomplished with deb, SuSE, etc...

Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."
gpg key fingerprint=7125 0BD3 8EC4 08D7 321D CEE9 F024 7DA6 0BC7 94E5