[Nolug] Authentication problem with RH9 upgrade

From: jdtiede_at_bellsouth.net
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 11:52:51 -0400

    In trying to get UBS support for a scanner on my Pass Christian, mS friend's PC, I upgraded to RH 9 from RH 8. The immediate result was that, while it would still dial and connect with AT&T's Gulfport modem, it wouldn't go any further, nor would it time out.
    Not having all the resources over there (can't pack up my entire computer room when I go over!) I brought it back to N.O. I couldn't even get it to boot in that computer (will post that problem separately) but put his HD in my spare computer, and everything works but the authentication. The connection takes place exactly as it did in Pass Christian, except, of course, dialing AT&T's Harvey number or BellSouth's N.O. number (my account).
    Both computers have appeared to run more slowly on this RH 9 installation (same HD).
    I hope someone knows the solution. He's impatient to get his e-mail access back!
    By the way, since I replaced the Alcatel USB modem with a SpeedStream 5360, I've been using FastAccess with Linux without problems.