RE: [Nolug] cell phones and fax machines

From: Pietu <plaihonen_at_uno.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 07:53:48 -0500

Most probably this can be done via bluetooth capable phone. All you really
need is USB bluetooth adapter, bluetooth capable mobile phone, and a fax
software. Then use the mobile phone as a fax modem.

Also irda connection can be used between the phone and computer, though not
as reliable as bluetooth. There are also data cables for connecting computer
and a mobile phone, but that's already out of trend.

When GPRS networks in this country become more widely available and some
operators take their heads out of their asses and start providing reasonable
flat fee for unlimited GPRS data transfer (most operators in Europe have
been doing this for long time), then we could actually just get the GSM
pcmcia cards to our laptops and have wireless connectivity faxing etc...
from where ever there is a signal available. (I believe some companies are
already offering similar stuff for palm pilots for an astronomical price.)

Perhaps we can dream about the availability of UMTS here within the next 20
years.

Pietu