RE: [Nolug] Cox's idea about fighting spam

From: John Souvestre <johns_at_sstar.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 00:01:43 -0500

Hi again.

On the other hand... I do not think that blocking outbound access to a 3rd
party mail server is right. Sure, in general a user (without a static IP)
should use his ISP's outgoing mail server. But consider this VERY common
case: A user with a laptop which he uses both at home and at the office.

This user wants only one mail account setup on his laptop. So which ISP's
outbound mail server should he use - His home or office ISP's? It's a royal
pain to have to change it twice daily.

In this case, the best solution is generally to use the domain's mail server
in both cases. This server should be setup to "relay" for it's own
AUTHENICATED account holders. Note: Without the authentication requirement
it would be an "open relay". Since just about every mail client in use
today can be set to authenticate (or use "POP before send"), this is an easy
and secure fix.

But this won't work for customers of ISP's who block outbound access to a
3rd party mail server. If you find yourself in this situation, call the ISP
and ask them to add the server you are trying to connect to to their
exception list. If they won't then it's time to find a new ISP.

Just my opinion. :-)

John

    John Souvestre - Southern Star - (504) 888-3348 - www.sstar.com