Re: [Nolug] Cox's idea about fighting spam

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 22:55:52 -0500

On Tuesday 10 June 2003 10:41 pm, Charles Jouglard wrote:

> I am looking for my copy of the email. What it "should" say is "INBOUND"
> to your cable modem on port 25. As a means to stop mail servers on
> residential accounts.

Heck. you guys did that a long time ago. and then turned it off. For a while
I sent my inbound email through another server MX that I had control of, it
would then forward to my email server listening on port 26. But eventually I
just put it all on the first MX and POP3'd my mail from there. I noticed
some time later that 25 inbound opened again

> The email that I previewed was written correctly. That does not mean that
> some well meaning marketing type didn't make a typo before it was sent
> out....

It's more than a typo. "Beginning Thursday, June 12 we will filter
 access to all 3rd party outgoing (SMTP) mail servers." it then goes on to
explain how to set up Outlook express, etc.

Heck, it does make sense. What doesn't make sense is that there's no way out.
And that's just one more filter. From the user's side, you have to wonder
where it will stop. I want high speed and I don't want my ISP doing any
filtering on my behalf. So it looks like I'll be seeking a new ISP since Cox
appears to offer no alternative for consumers.

--
Scott Harney <scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."