Re: Re: [Nolug] Cox's idea about fighting spam

From: jacklinux_at_cox.net
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 11:29:15 -0400

I find myself looking gat this from a customer service standpoint and from that standpoint you're looking at an 80/20 situation. I mean, really, how many of Cox's customers even know what a port is, let alone which ones do what; and then for them to see the potential impact of a change like this is an impossible stretch. Of course there are going to be people on this list who don't like port filtering. But remember, for most people, “Plain Vanilla” is fine.

Most of Cox's customers (especially in New Orleans) probably do little more than check email and gawk at porn. That's a good environment to initiate a vicious spam cycle. If you can’t educate the user then you have to restrict them. Port filtering is going to improve most of Cox’s customer’s experiences on a day to day basis because they won’t notice the limitation and won’t get as much spam.

Empathy for the masses, people, empathy...