Re: Re: [Nolug] Cox's idea about fighting spam

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 11 Jun 2003 14:50:39 -0500

On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 10:29, jacklinux@cox.net wrote:
> I find myself looking gat this from a customer service standpoint
> and from that standpoint you're looking at an 80/20 situation. I
> mean, really, how many of Cox's customers even know what a port is,
> let alone which ones do what; and then for them to see the potential
> impact of a change like this is an impossible stretch. Of course
> there are going to be people on this list who don't like port filter-
> ing. But remember, for most people, Plain Vanilla is fine.

The only customer service I want from Cox regarding HSI is for them
to keep their stuff running. That, I think, goes for all the @cox.net
people on this list.

> Most of Cox's customers (especially in New Orleans) probably do
> little more than check email and gawk at porn. That's a good environ-
> ment to initiate a vicious spam cycle. If you cant educate the user
> then you have to restrict them. Port filtering is going to improve
> most of Coxs customers experiences on a day to day basis because
> they wont notice the limitation and wont get as much spam.

And if Cox sees that suddenly a lot of traffic is coming from port
25 of one of their customers, or gets SpamCop complaints, then they
(Cox) should do something about it. Otherwise, system-wide port
blocking is like doing heart surgery with a dull machete.

> Empathy for the masses, people, empathy...

Saying that port filtering is a great idea is having empathy for
Cox, not The Masses.

> > From: Tim Kelley <tpk@23rdward.org>
> > Date: 2003/06/10 Tue PM 07:34:27 EDT
> > To: nolug@joeykelly.net, "Pietu" <plaihonen@uno.edu>
> > Subject: Re: [Nolug] Cox's idea about fighting spam
> >
> > On Tuesday 10 June 2003 5:57 pm, Pietu wrote:
> > > I just received a "friendly" e-mail from Cox cable.
> > > Their latest idea for fighting spam is to block all traffic to 3rd
> > > party e-mail servers.
> > >
> > > Naturally since I'm only a paying customer, they don't have to think
> > > that I might want to send e-mails too. So far the only reliable
> > > e-mail server I had was my own server in Texas.
> > >
> > > I wonder when they start blocking ssh also, since tunneling through
> > > ssh seems to be the only way for me to continue e-mailing anything.
> >
> > Cox is basically stupid, arrogant, and organizationally incompetent; you
> > can expect to be treated accordingly. The various DSL providers are
> > far less obtrusive and seem to have far fewer problems - much more
> > friendly to linux users. Go with the small companies; the typical
> > megacorp ISP sucks rocks.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| Regarding war zones: "There's nothing sacrosanct about a  |
| hotel with a bunch of journalists in it."                 |
|     Marine Lt. Gen. Bernard E. Trainor (Retired)          |