Re: [Nolug] Finding a new hard drive in Redhat9

From: Dave Prentice <prentice_at_instruction.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 21:26:20 -0500

Michael,
    You will need to know what physical drive it is, e.g. hda or hdb
for the first and second IDEdrives, or sda or sdb for the second SCSI.
You also need to know how it's partitioned. For example, if your mp3
files are in partition 1 of the second IDE, they will be in hdb1. You
can use "fdisk /dev/hdb," for example, to get the partition
information. Just make sure you don't make any unintentional changes
to the partition table in fdisk.
    Then you make a mount point off the / directory, e.g. "mkdir
/mp3". Now edit /etc/fstab so that hdb1 points to that mount point. I
don't know what filesystem to use for ntfs, but the syntax in RH7.2
would be something like
/dev/hdb2 /mp3 /xxxxxxxx
defaults 1 2
where xxxxxxx represents whatever the correct filesystem type is for
your version of Linux. I haven't read through it, but you can get more
information on Linux and ntfs at http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net.
Your distro may have a slightly different format, but if you compare
it to another line in fstab, say the one about /mnt/floppy, you will
see the correct syntax. You probably will want it to automount.
Dave Prentice
prentice@instruction.com
http://www.originsresource.org