Re: [Nolug] Cox's idea about fighting spam -- The E-mail

From: Craig Jackson <craig.jackson_at_wild.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:02:55 -0500

Pietu wrote:
> Hi Charles,
>
> Here is a copy of an e-mail I received. According to this, I will not have
> reliable e-mail server after tomorrow unless I start tunneling mail via ssh.
> So far cox's e-mail server has given me way too much trouble and I need
> reliable e-mail deliveries.
>
> Cox's e-mail........
>
> Dear Customer,
>
> With the increasing popularity of always-on High Speed Internet
> connections, the potential for unsolicited e-mail, or SPAM, has also
> increased. This is not only considered a nuisance by our valued
> customers, but also potentially degrades customers e-mail service by
> consuming network and mail server resources. SPAM also increases the
> potential for computer related virus attacks. In an effort to protect
> our customers, as well as other members of the Internet community
> receiving e-mail from Cox customers, Cox is currently engaged in an
> initiative to reduce the amount of SPAM originating from our Cox High
> Speed Internet network. Beginning Thursday, June 12 we will filter
> access to all 3rd party outgoing (SMTP) mail servers.
>
> You may be connecting to a 3rd party mail server because of one of the
> following reasons:
>
> - Your e-mail software, such as Outlook Express, is configured to
> use a 3rd party outgoing mail server to send e-mail, with or without
> your knowledge.
>
> - Your computer may be allowing other users from the Internet to
> connect to it. These outside users may be using your machine to
> relay their e-mail. We recommend that you review the security of
> your PC.
>
> - Your computer is infected with a virus that is attempting to spread
> itself via e-mail. We recommend that you update your anti-virus
> software and scan your machine for viruses.
>
> We believe that by putting this filter in place, we will stop 9 out of
> 10 spam e-mails coming from the Cox network. This will not only
> improve the experience for all Internet users, it will help insure
> that other Internet Service providers do not take action to block
> legitimate e-mail from our users.
>
> Following the implementation of this filter, any e-mail software
> configured to use an SMTP server other than smtp.east.cox.net to send
> e-mail from your computer will no longer work. Although you will
> still be able to read any e-mail sent to you, an error message such as
> the one shown below will appear when you attempt to send e-mail to
> others:
>
> A time-out occurred while communicating with the server.
> Account: otheraccount.otherisp.com, Server: othersmtp.otherisp.com,
> Protocol: SMTP, Port 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19
>

> Customers using 3rd party email services must re-configure their email
> clients to use smtp.east.cox.net to send outbound e-mail. You will
> find detailed instructions for configuring your mail client to use Cox
> [...]

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable policy for windows/MAC,
surf-the-net-only, email-for-home-personal-use ISP. The effects of
certain viruses and spam can be kept to a minimum, while users enjoy
high speeds. Cox's propensity to "manage" their network has a fairly
long history, so there are no real surprises in this letter. If you are
unhappy with this, there are other ISPs that charge a little more but
have none of the undesired policies. Like Eatel, which I use. My IP
hasn't changed since I started with them in January. I run all sorts of
services on a variety of ports. Download bandwidth is capped at about
155kb/s but for most web sites that's plenty fast enough.

--
Craig Jackson