Re: [Nolug] Cox's idea about fighting spam -- The E-mail

From: Craig Jackson <craig.jackson_at_wild.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:26:15 -0500

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 09:02, Craig Jackson wrote:
>
>>Pietu wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Charles,
>>>
>>>Here is a copy of an e-mail I received. According to this, I will not have
>>>reliable e-mail server after tomorrow unless I start tunneling mail via ssh.
>
> [snip]
>
>>Sounds like a perfectly reasonable policy for windows/MAC,
>>surf-the-net-only, email-for-home-personal-use ISP. The effects of
>>certain viruses and spam can be kept to a minimum, while users enjoy
>>high speeds. Cox's propensity to "manage" their network has a fairly
>

> And that's exactly what their goal is. There ought to be a way,
> though, to accomodate geeks also, though.

I agree. I called Cox about upgrading to Business Package so I could
have access to all ports and have a static IP and more bandwidth for
upload, but was told that my area (Metairie) was not elegible. I figured
that the person on the phone didn't have a clue. So I switched because
what kind of service can I expect from Cox if it's representative
doesn't have a clue? This took place last December I believe. BTW, that
upgrade package prbably would have cost me $150.00 per month. I think
there should be a happy medium.

--
Craig Jackson