RE: [Nolug] Cox's idea about fighting spam

From: John Souvestre <johns_at_sstar.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 20:28:47 -0500

Hi Scott.

Please excuse the delayed reply. I meant to post this the other day, but
forgot.

There is another possibility which I don't believe anyone has mentioned. If
you are using an outside relay system, you could set that relay up to listen
for SMTP traffic on some port other than port 25. Then set your mail reader
and/or mail server (the one operating within Cox or whoever) to send that
port.

For example, Southern Star's mail server is set to listen on ports 25 and
8025. This way any of my mail users who happen to connect via Cox with a
laptop don't have to worry about changing the outgoing mail server setting
when they move their laptop from a Cox connection to a normal connection.

John

    John Souvestre - Southern Star - (504) 888-3348 - www.sstar.com

Yep. IPSEC gets around this issue fine. though you'll need someone with
outbound 25 access and the ablility to relay through them.

Another way to do this is a simple ssh tunnel:
ssh -f -N -L 2500:localhost:25 remote.mx.server
Then tell your mail client to connect to localhost 2500 for SMTP. (If you
need to 25 on the local side, you'll have to do the ssh as root) What this
says is that connections on port 2500 are tunnelled via ssh to port 25 on
'localhost' which is the localhost on the remote end (ie remote.mx.server).

If you do "telnet localhost 2500" you'lll get the smtp banner from the
remote
side.