Re: [Nolug] command_line question

From: mikey_at_otisinc1.net
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:25:09 -0400 (EDT)

> I really haven’t been able to find what I’m looking for and was hoping
> someone could point me in the right direction. I need to learn more
> commands – I’m sick of GUIs and realize from growing up on Windoz that
> if I’m going to get to a guru level with Linux then I’m going to have to
> get my head around command line better. Finding commands is not so much
> the problem as coming up with useful exercises to apply the commands
> with checks to see if I did what I was trying to do. So I guess what I’m
> looking for is a great workbook with some practical exercises and checks
> so I can get this part of Linux locked down a little more. I’m not
> afraid of command line at all and really understand it’s the only way to
> be more than a luser at it.

One way is to 'ls' everything in the /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin,
/usr/local/bin, etc. and 'man' the command line programs that you find in
there. There's a lot of interesting stuff with some distros you'll find
that may come in handy (/usr/bin/look is a handy lookup for spelling).
Learn some of the operators within the shell, like how to escape
characters with a '\' and piping commands, etc.. Google bash, csh, ksh to
find out how to parse some of the programs. While you're at it, get into
some 'awk' and 'sed', because that's something that I use constantly
within the command line environment. Especially with LARTs.

#>kill -9 `ps -augxw | grep "luser" | awk '{print $2}'`
;)

HTH.

I agree with you on the GUI part. GUI annoys me too with it's restrictions.
But, for the love of all that is holy, let's not get this list arguing
about /that/ subject considering the political wars that had recently gone
on because there might possibly be someone who is fanatical about GUIs on
this list. ;)

Since-beer-leekz,
Mikey
Unix Mercenary-We're not happy until you're not happy