Re: Re: [Nolug] The Inevitable Thread

From: jdtiede_at_bellsouth.net
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 23:36:41 -0400

Here are two URLs that refer to AIX:
http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2914073,00.html
http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-1017719.html?tag=fd_lede2_hed
From: -ray <ray@ops.selu.edu>
Date: 2003/06/19 Thu PM 06:49:19 EDT
To: nolug@joeykelly.net
Subject: Re: Re: [Nolug] The Inevitable Thread

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 jdtiede@bellsouth.net wrote:

> >From what I read online in ZDNetNews, it looks like parts used in AIX
> >are the worst offenders. Not only is the code identical, but so are the
> >comments!!!

I had not heard that AIX is even an offender... can you post a URL?
IBM's license with SCO should have covered AIX. But IBM's alleged misuse
of the license is why SCO terminated it.

> Or is SCO singling out IBM because it has the deepest pockets? What I
> had read previously indicated that the "copied" parts were an
> insignificant part of the kernel and could easily be rewritten. I hope
> that's true.

But SCO isn't letting us off that easy. The comparison Darl McBride used
is something like "if someone steals your car for a month, you find them
and they agree to give it back, do you just say 'thanks for returning
it?'". Which sorta makes sense to me. If the code was stolen, IBM has
to prove that it was insignificant, and that it did little to affect SCO's
Unix business.

ray