Re: Re: [Nolug] Beginners classes

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 27 Jun 2003 16:08:37 -0500

On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 15:41, jdtiede@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Compressed copy of dmesg|grep hdc attached.

I think you didn't attach it.

> When i run lsmod, I get "command not available."

It's a "superuser" program, so mere users must use:
/sbin/lsmod.

Note: locate(1) is your friend:
$ locate lsmod
/sbin/lsmod
/usr/share/man/man8/lsmod.8.gz

> Found the four modules in /usr/src/linux-2.4/drivers/scsi but don't
> know what to do with them.

Try:
locate sr_mod.o

> I have RH 9, on which I supposed 2.4.2 is included, but I'm

"2.4.2[01]" means "2.4.20 or 2.4.21".

2.4.20 was released on 28-Nov-2002 and .21 on 13-Jun-2003.
You may have to download them from RHN. Note that you only
need .20 if .21 doesn't work for some reason.

> afraid to install it because I did on another machine and lost
> all internet access. It's someone else's machine and apparently
> blew its mobo so is temporarily out of service.

A kernel destroys a motherboard? Don't believe it.

Fortunately, you can have multiple kernels installed, so if some-
thing doesn't work right in .20 or .21, you can reboot and start up
2.4.18.

You do use lilo or grub, right?

> From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
> Date: 2003/06/27 Fri PM 03:54:26 EDT
> To: NOLUG ML <nolug@joeykelly.net>
> Subject: Re: Re: [Nolug] Beginners classes
>
> On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 14:16, jdtiede@bellsouth.net wrote:
> > kernel 2.4.18-4
>
> Red Hat?
>
> > device hdc
> > grep dmesg /dev/hdc yields > 100 lines of output
>
> dmesg | grep hdc | gzip > dmesg.hdc.txt.gz
>
> Then attach dmesg.hdc.txt.gz to your reply email.
>
> Also, these SCSI-related files should either be compiled into
> your kernel or built as modules and installed:
> --------
> ide-scsi
> sr_mod
> scsi_mod
> sg
>
> If possible, upgrade to 2.4.2[01]. Then the kernel can write
> directly to the cd-rw without going through SCSI emulation.
>
> Ron

> > From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
> > Date: 2003/06/27 Fri AM 11:14:47 EDT
> > To: NOLUG ML <nolug@joeykelly.net>
> > Subject: Re: Re: [Nolug] Beginners classes
> >
> > On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 09:24, jdtiede@bellsouth.net wrote:
> > > I'm interested in getting cdrw and scanner to work. I also haven't
> > > been able to do anything with audio except get the trial tones
> > > to play after OS installation.
> >
> > For a start:
> >
> > We'll need to know what kernel you're running ("uname -r" does that)
> > and which IDE device it is (hdb, hdc or hdd). Then we also need
> > the output from grep dmesg for that device.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| "Oh, great altar of passive entertainment, bestow upon me |
|  thy discordant images at such speed as to render linear  |
|  thought impossible" (Calvin, regarding TV)               |