Re: RE: [Nolug] Possible grounding/static electricity problem

From: T.E.Stirewalt <TomS_at_ComputerBrain.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 07:20:55 -0500

  Probably showing my ignorance and lack of electrical engineering degree
here, but...

  Isn't it the difference in electrical potential between the components
(including the human) what counts as far as the computer parts are
concerned?

  As I understand it, grounding merely lowers the potential to zero, which
is probably safer for the human, but not essential to the computer's parts.
Of course, if the human is the only thing grounded because the human is
standing on the ground, the flow will be through the human, which is usually
not a good thing for the human involved (though observers, co-workers, etc.
may be entertained somewhat).

  I'm not really 'up' on the modern MoBo's and their connection to power
supplies, but I believe I have read that manufacturers are recommending
physically unplugging from the A. C. line when you add/remove stuff from the
mobo. I guess then you attach a grounding strap to the case, and wear a
ground strap yourself, and unplug the power cable. At least, that is what I
do.

Tom Stirewalt 03 JUL 03