Re: [Nolug] Possible grounding/static electricity problem

From: Alex McKenzie <alex_at_boxchain.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 10:59:10 -0500

Yes, voltage is a potential difference. When you ground yourself to the
case, you add yourself (since you are conductive) to the circuit. Since
the gadget you're plugging into the board is also now part of the
circuit, eveything is considered to have zero volts.

Modern CPU's have much smaller components, millions more of them, and
they run at smaller voltages, (mine is 1.6V) which is why it is so
important to unplug and discharge the capacitors (the tin can looking
things on the mobo). If the circuit has any charge, or is connected
elsewhere (its plugged in) you're asking for trouble.

Capacitors store charge. You can see this yourself. Unplug your
machine, and watch the power led (or an led on the board) when you hit
the switch. It often will blink.

--
Alex McKenzie     alex@boxchain.com     http://www.boxchain.com