Re: RE: [Nolug] Possible grounding/static electricity problem

From: Dave Prentice <prentice_at_instruction.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 07:35:53 -0500

Tom,
    The problem is static electricity. On a very dry day, you can
generate a potential of several thousand volts without realizing it.
You know, walk across a carpet and touch an unsuspecting victom's
earlobe -- bwaa haa haa! Of course, none of you guys is mean enough to
have ever done that, right? Though we feel the spark, the current is
infinitesimal to a human. All that happens is that we get startled.
Nevertheless, it's enough to fry a tiny circuit component.
    If it's a very humid day, there's no worry because the potential
will quickly "leak" away, that is, it will be discharged through the
moist air. However, on a day with relatively low humidity -- I don't
know the number, but I'd be cautious if it were less than about 80% --
by all means wear a wrist strap to protect components.
Dave Prentice
prentice@instruction.com
http://www.originsresource.org