RE: [Nolug] Possible grounding/static electricity problem

From: John Souvestre <johns_at_sstar.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 22:20:56 -0500

Yes, you do have a grounding problem. Stop using your Ohm meter to check
live AC lines. It's a sure way to blow the meter. There is a small (or
perhaps not so small) difference between grounded wires due to the current
flow in them. Use voltage measurements. Or simply go to Radio Shack and
pick up one the AC circuit testers with 3 bulbs on it. They run about $5 or
$10.

No, your AC grounding problem has little, if any, to do with static
electricity possibly frying your motherboard. The static problem is between
you, the motherboard and the case. Whether the case is grounded or not
doesn't affect this. The important thing is that you and the motherboard
and the case are all at the same potential (ground or otherwise).

A wrist strap is good. Connect it to the case, not the AC wall socket.

John

    John Souvestre - Southern Star - (504) 888-3348 - www.sstar.com