[Nolug] Possible grounding/static electricity problem

From: jdtiede_at_bellsouth.net
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 17:25:03 -0400

    It has been pointed out to me that my failures in changing
mobos and CPUs may be due to static electricity. I'm not sure
but don't think I had that problem before my last move, so I
got out my volt-ohmmeter and checked for continuity between
the ground connector and "hot" terminal in wall outlets and
my UPS. There is zero resistance. Then I tried in bathroom
and kitchen and found infinite resistance between ground
terminal and water pipes. Do I have a problem or not?
    If there is no problem, would a wrist strap and/or an
anti-static mat offer significantly greater protection than
almost-constant contact with the unpainted chassis while
plugged in but not turned on? (There is no resistance
between that and ground or "cold" terminal either.)