Re: [Nolug] Spam and Virus Protection

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 22:00:18 -0500

-ray <ray@ops.selu.edu> writes:

> On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
>
>> Curious: What advantages do you see with Novell's directory server
>> over, say, OpenLDAP?
>
> Mainly scalability and performance. In our initial testing we could
> easily kill OpenLDAP trying to load a few hundred thousand objects in to
> it.

I've had my own problems with OpenLDAP, so I don't doubt what you
say, but I am curious about when you did the testing. The code has
really matured in the past year.

Also, I would love to have the scalability problem, but I don't right
now. I wonder if I can just stuff it with a bunch of objects to test
this out.

> Now we were using openldap flat files, and didn't do a whole lot of
> tuning, but didn't do much eDir tuning either. eDir was faster and
> more reliable out of the box.

OpenLDAP has a variety of backends that it can run on. These include
Berkley DB's, SQL databases, other LDAP stores, shell scripts, perl
modules (via the embedable Perl interpreter) and others. I'm not
sure what you mean by "flat files" but I don't think any of these
qualify.

Perhaps you had some ldif-format files that you loaded into slapd via
slapadd?

> I wrote a script that runs freshclam nightly to update the db, and mails
> me the result based on the exit code from freshclam.

That's standard on Debian... I wonder if I just missed the updates.
Or maybe it was longer than I thought when I last checked.

Thanks for all your info.

Mark.