Re: [Nolug] Teaching languages

From: Dustin Puryear <dpuryear_at_usa.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 10:22:16 -0500

At 02:45 AM 7/13/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 01:27, Brad N Bendily wrote:
> > In my opinion, although I haven't really used
> > any language extensively, I would think either
> > C or C++. Mostly because those languages seem to
> > be a foundation for current languages.
>
>I'd say "Python on 'Unix'", but "Python on Windows" is almost
>as good. It has a clear syntax, is either procedural or object
>oriented, depending on your own desires, and yet the simplicity
>does not limit you, like Pascal does.

I heard somewhere that Georgia Tech. actually uses Scheme as their beginner
language. The idea is that Scheme doesn't require you to understand
concepts that may confuse beginners (i.e., pointers and their proper use),
so students just get to work. As someone that began life using a procedural
language like C and also assembly I have to wonder if I wouldn't be a
better programmer having learned a higher-level language like Scheme or
Python early on. It is one thing to adapt and learn to a new language or
programming paradigm, but in my case I find that I still think the way I
was originally trained.

---
Dustin Puryear <dustin@puryear-it.com>
Puryear Information Technology, LLC <http://www.puryear-it.com>
Providing expertise in the management, integration, and
security of Windows and UNIX systems, networks, and applications.