Re: [Nolug] Crappy Perl Code

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:49:04 -0500

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> Most people, especially busy, mediocre programmers, and SysAdmins
> who hack out what they think are one-time scripts that somehow
> wind up still in production 3 years later, only think of the moment.

Then, I guess we have a lot of crappy code in production --
regardless of the language. Not too surprising, really.

For the record, I'm a SysAdmin and I don't believe in one-time
scripts. Generally, I expect the code I write to be used over and
over again -- that's why I'm writing it.

Its a real shame that my fellow SysAdmins on the Windows side of the
house don't do any scripting. They are stuck in the mindset that it
is quicker to point-and-click their way through something a hundred
times than it is to automate the process.

> I guess it depends on what you think is a Great Novel. James
> Joyce's Ulysses or Tolkien's LOTR.

I'm all over LOTR, but that isn't exactly the "Great American
Novel". Very few American novels reach the level of LOTR. And, LOTR
isn't written at a sixth-grade reading level.

Mark.