Re: [Nolug] Crappy Perl Code

From: Dustin Puryear <dpuryear_at_usa.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:20:45 -0500

At 03:49 PM 7/13/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Its a real shame that my fellow SysAdmins on the Windows side of the
>house don't do any scripting. They are stuck in the mindset that it
>is quicker to point-and-click their way through something a hundred
>times than it is to automate the process.

In general, scripting is alive and well in shops with more than a few
Windows servers to manage. I can do just about anything using shell
scripting and the NTRK that I can do under Linux with the Bourne shell and
system tools. Shell scripting under Windows isn't pretty, but it works. (I
of course am only referring to scripting under NT or better.)

It is true however that not all OS components were exposed before Windows
2003. However, for 99% of sysadmin tasks you can script it under Windows.
This includes everything from monitoring and restarting services to
configuring new user accounts and home directories. This is all stock shell
scripting. No WSH or perl. Of course, a Windows administrator that knows
perl can do *a lot* of nifty stuff, from managing AD to just about anything
you can name.

I think you meant the sysadmins that you work with, but I have noticed that
in the Linux community everyone assumes that Windows sysadmins only
point-and-click. This is true in very small shops, but often not the case
in any sizeable network.

---
Dustin Puryear <dustin@puryear-it.com>
Puryear Information Technology, LLC <http://www.puryear-it.com>
Providing expertise in the management, integration, and
security of Windows and UNIX systems, networks, and applications.