Re: [Nolug] Evo and Outlook

From: Judson Lester <jlester_at_tulane.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 09:51:12 -0500

On Friday, July 11, 2003, at 11:26 PM, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:

> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
>
>>> Ok, maybe Perl, too.
>>
>> Gak! Line noise does not add to the clarity of source code...
>
> Not to start a language war (its already started...), but do you have
> actual experience with regular expressions? Or were you talking
> about something else here? One liners, perhaps?
>
> Or, are you just repeating something you've heard?

Now wait a minute. Perl's quite powerful, and it's integration and
extension of regular expressions is quite remarkable. But it's
readability is difficult to defend. It takes amazing discipline to
write code that communicates to humans. Especially in the face of
Ruby, it been that characteristic that's blunted my development as a
Perl coder. Now, Ruby, there's a scripting language worth writing in.

Judson