RE: [Nolug] SAMBA (all the details I can possibly give hoping someone is still willing to help

From: J. Kent Busbee, Jr. <buz_at_penwel.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:41:50 -0500

> I know I have the right user name and password because I use
> the same ones to connect to it from this exact same computer
> while I'm running in windows XP (both times using IP address
> 192.168.1.99 and the firewall thing in windows is unchecked, I
> turned off the firewall in linux completly while trying to
> get it to connect, and I have ports 137,138, 139 and 631
> forwarded to both IP addresses on the router (even though I
> don't think that'll do anything for me while working inside
> the network.
>
> Please help

So, you have these two pc's on the same network, an internal network
(192.168.1.XXX). You should not have to FORWARD any ports. You should
not FORWARD any ports. If either of these have firewalling enabled,
which you said you do not, then you would have to OPEN the ports, allow
traffic through them.

Secondly, I had no idea that you could forward ports to BOTH locations.
You might have them OPEN to both, but I did not know you could FORWARD
to more than one ip address. (I could be wrong, but I would think that
that would get ugly.)

You probably should not OPEN or FORWARD any ports... What I suspect you
are doing is opening the ports from the outside internet on your router.
Since, I think you are working on an internal network, I would leave
those closed and not forwarded. You don't want the Internet to have
access to your printer or files.

Having this set may or may not be effecting your network traffic.

Hope this helps.

INET FIREWALL WinPC RHpc

                     RULE
Port Forward