[Nolug] Re: Example of bloat in HTML/Word mail

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:27:04 -0500

XML Namespaces primer time!

Alex McKenzie <alex@boxchain.com> writes:

> What does that 'o' tag do? Probably nothing.

There is no 'o' tag. There is a 'p' tag in the namespace designated
by 'o'.

So which namespace is that, you ask? Well, recurse back up the
elements till you find an "xmlns:o=" and it'll tell you right
there. There's a declaration for the 'o' namespace right at the top
element, so we see that the 'o' namespace is actually

    urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office

This namespace is used to pass around Office information in a way
that complies with the XML standard. Here's a page, for example,
that tells you how to use this namespace to put custom SmartTags(tm)
on your web page:

    http://www.webreference.com/xml/column38/

Mark.