Re: [Nolug] Cloning hard drives

From: Craig Jackson <craig.jackson_at_wild.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:22:10 -0500

integral@integralsecurity.com wrote:

>I have some pc's that my kids are fixing to be sent to an orphanage in
>Guatamala. It takes over 4 hours to install the distribution on each pc. I
>have tried using dd to copy an image of the drive, however since they are not
>identical drives it dies when the hard drive is checked while linux is loading.
> I have also tried e2fsck to fix the hard drive. However this is not
>working. DD only takes about 15 minutes to put an image on the drive, however
>there are issues since it dies while loading linux.
>
>Thanks in Advance,
>
>Jonathan Hutchins
>Summer Missionary.

DD can't handle some disk geometry differences or copying from a large
to smaller disk. There are several other approaches.

1) Buy Drive Image Pro or Ghost and work through that.
2) Do a minimal install which takes a few minutes, then copy the rest of
the files using cp.
3) Try http://www.partimage.org/

--
Craig Jackson