Re: [Nolug] weekend computer job?

From: Craig Jackson <craig.jackson_at_wild.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:58:30 -0500

Dustin Puryear wrote:

> At 04:18 PM 7/17/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>> I have 0 certifications so such a thing is possible. (I do have a
>>> B.S. in CS from UNO.)
>>
>> I have Linux+ and Network+. I got them because it emhasizes exactly
>> what I want to do to prospective employers. But I'd rather have a BS
>> in CS -- too bad I don't have the time to do that.
>

> This might be a good thread for others on this list..
>
> Craig, have you found your Linux+ and Network+ certifications to be
> helpful in finding employment or getting raises? Would you recommend
> these certifications to people just starting out in the field? Are the
> certifications expensive to take? How much did you have to study to
> pass them? Have you considered certifications such as the LPI and RHCE?
>

> ---
> Dustin Puryear <dustin@puryear-it.com>
> Puryear Information Technology, LLC <http://www.puryear-it.com>
> Providing expertise in the management, integration, and
> security of Windows and UNIX systems, networks, and applications.

I think they were very helpful in focusing on strengths and interests.
My employer realized that I am truly interested in OSS rather some guy
that threw in a Redhat disk and pulled up X. The network+ was also
helpful because just about anywhere you work in tech you need to know
networking. Now, it seems it's good to have Linux skills also. The cost
is about $200.00 ea. -- phew!

I used the Transcender exams and books from other publishers.
Transcender is good for some things, not for others. In this case
transcender was pretty good because the transcender stuff complimented
the books and many test questions were rephrased from transcender. On
the whole the tests were easy and would have passed either way as most
on this list probably would.

As for the LPI, I was in the middle of studying for that one when I got
my job working with Solaris, so am studying for the Solaris exam. Much
of what you need for Sol I exam is here: http://www.badmagicnumber.com.
But I will start studying again for the LPI -- I really like the
O'Reilly LPI book, nice succint little guide.

RHCE??? Maybe, probably not. Employers down here see Linux+ and I think
that's good enough for them. If I lived in TX, probably.

--
Craig Jackson