[Nolug] Re: Maildir format

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:46:20 -0500

Craig Jackson <craig.jackson@wild.net> writes:

> What mta do you like?

For delivering to maildir format, I use both exim and qmail (at
different places).

> I used qmail for a year. It worked great until I setup smtps and
> pop3s. I set them up successfully and then believe it or not all by
> themselves, they stopped working.

I've seen strange things with qmail, so I would believe it. I
avoided the pop daemons that most people use with qmail.

I have been using qmail with TLS support for quite some time with no
breakage, though.

> I'm willing to give postfix and courier/vpopmail a try with
> maildirs, though I would prefer to stay with mbx.

I can't seem to find a good description of the mbx format. Got one?

> Though I appreciate the efficiency advantages of Maildir over mbox
> (I don't think there's a speed advantage over mbx), with small
> mailboxes, such efficiencies aren't available with very large
> mailboxes as you run into inode and file I/O issues.

These are filesystem issues, not maildir format issues. Both
ReiserFS and XFS (which I use) are much better at handling
directories with a large number of files than UFS or ext2fs.

Mark.

--
As long as you have mystery you have health; when you destroy mystery
you create morbidity.			     -- G.K. Chesterson