Re: [Nolug] Looking for an automated FTP backup script for mysqldump

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 21 Jul 2003 10:19:15 -0500

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 08:20, Scott Harney wrote:
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
>
> > But then you'd only have 1 copy of your sqldump on the remote machine.
> > Not good if you have to restore from a previous dump.
>
> not necessarily. if he sends daily deltas just like your script
>
> > Also, rsync doesn't work well with compressed files.
>
> I don't know where you get this. rsync works fine. It may not
> increase efficiency over plain scp with highly compressed files,
> but it works fine.

2 slightly (well, a bit more than slightly, but not much) different
files may have big differences in their respective .gz files, because
of the compression algorithm, which plays havoc with the rsync
algorithm.

I think it was here, though, that I heard of rgzip, which, as it's
name (slightly) implies, is an rsync-safe version of gzip.

A web-page that I recently read regarding why apt doesn't work
with rsync explains it all.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian  |
|  because I hate vegetables!"                                    |
|    unknown                                                      |