Re: [Nolug] Looking for an automated FTP backup script for mysqldump

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:44:13 -0500

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> 2 slightly (well, a bit more than slightly, but not much) different
> files may have big differences in their respective .gz files, because
> of the compression algorithm, which plays havoc with the rsync
> algorithm.
>
> I think it was here, though, that I heard of rgzip, which, as it's
> name (slightly) implies, is an rsync-safe version of gzip.
>
> A web-page that I recently read regarding why apt doesn't work
> with rsync explains it all.

Here's a link I found on google referring to this issue.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200307/msg00462.html

Debian apparently is starting to ship a patched version of gzip that adds a
 --rsync option to it. The other option would be not to gzip ;)

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."