Re: [Nolug] Passwordless SSH.

From: Judson Lester <jlester_at_tulane.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:57:57 -0500

On Monday, July 21, 2003, at 09:48 AM, David wrote:

> Greetings All:
>
> Well I used some of Ron's recommendations, as far as giving the dump a
> good file name and using scp. Then tar/gzip contents of mysqldump to a
> tmp directory. Finally, scp puts the archive on my ftp server every
> four hours via cron.
> Thanks again!

Right now:

Consider carefully how you're going to prevent your backups from
consuming all your disk space over time. Any unbounded disk
consumption will eventually use up all your disk space.

Probably your best bet in this situation is to reuse filenames in a
loop. Instead of giving everything a perfectly unique name, name them
with the number of the weekday, or the day of the month, so that the
newest backup will overwrite the oldest. (This will also require
whatever options set to compel overwrites.)