Re: [Nolug] Passwordless SSH.

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 21 Jul 2003 12:43:55 -0500

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 10:57, Judson Lester wrote:
> On Monday, July 21, 2003, at 09:48 AM, David wrote:
>
> > Greetings All:
> >
> > Well I used some of Ron's recommendations, as far as giving the dump a
> > good file name and using scp. Then tar/gzip contents of mysqldump to a
> > tmp directory. Finally, scp puts the archive on my ftp server every
> > four hours via cron.
> > Thanks again!
>
> Right now:
>
> Consider carefully how you're going to prevent your backups from
> consuming all your disk space over time. Any unbounded disk
> consumption will eventually use up all your disk space.
>
> Probably your best bet in this situation is to reuse filenames in a
> loop. Instead of giving everything a perfectly unique name, name them
> with the number of the weekday, or the day of the month, so that the
> newest backup will overwrite the oldest. (This will also require
> whatever options set to compel overwrites.)

Or, his script (with a little help from Perl) could calculate
"15 days ago", and delete the that file.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian  |
|  because I hate vegetables!"                                    |
|    unknown                                                      |