Re: [Nolug] Sequel to static problem

From: Alex McKenzie <alex_at_boxchain.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 02:07:00 -0500

> On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 23:08, jdtiede@bellsouth.net wrote:
>
>>Today I received a new mobo and CPU I ordered as a package from
>>Tiger Direct. The computer booted just fine, but after login
>>becomes agonizingly slow--each response takes minutes instead of
>>seconds! I have PC-133 memory and I think the CPU is timed for a
>>FSB of 200. The CPU is an Athlon 1600+. The mobo won't accommodate
>>PC2100 memory. Would TD have sold them as a package if there were
>>an incompatibility, or do I need to get some PC100 memory? I have
>>tried the mobo set for both 133 and 100.

Doubt it, I've run PC133 on a 200FSB. Done it for years. Have you done
a `top`? What's your load avg, and is any process holding up the CPU?
Anything interesting in /var/log/messages?

It could be a disk, loose cable -- is all this stuff new? They still
sell 200FSB boards? As new?!? I had a hard time finding mobos that
took SDRAM recently. Seriously, look up your board and make sure that
it supports an XP proc...my current board won't but some people have
gotten them to work.

Are you running a 2.5 kernel? =P

Do you have a way to look at your temps? check out lm_sensors, if you
can.

If you've been messing with BIOS settings, go back and reset to
failsafe/defaults, just to be sure.

I'm having problems -- my system is hanging occasionally. Something to
do with the disk, I think the controller is voerheating. The
northbridge fan turns too slowly. Took that off and the (too) little
dab of thermal goo was wet, after 2+ years of use. Make sense to anyone?

--
Alex McKenzie     alex@boxchain.com     http://www.boxchain.com